I recently learned how to create a dropdown list in Excel. I have had a lot of practice with html dropdown lists, but I had never created one, or needed to create on in Excel…until recently.
Here is a quick tutorial on how to create a dropdown list in Microsoft Excel 2013. In the tutorial I will create a dropdown list for months.
- On sheet 2, type all of the months.
- Select your 12 months, right click and select Define Name…
- In the New Name dialog box, type ‘Months’ in the Name textbox. Select ‘Workbook’ as the Scope. And click OK.
- On sheet 1, select the cell in which you want to put the Months dropdown box.
- On the DATA tab, click on the Data Validation button.
- In the Data Validation dialog box, on the Settings tab, under the Allow setting select List. For Source, type ‘=Months’ and click OK.
- You are now have a dropdown list that pulls from our Months list that we created in step 3.