MySQL is a fast, reliable and stable open source database management system (RDMS – Relational Database Management System). There are several reasons why Oracle MySQL is popular for web application use, Web 2.0, Saas, ISV and open source projects such as LAMP. It helps users save time and money. If that’s not enough of a reason, here are the top reasons why you should be using Oracle’s MySQL:
- MySQL allows multiple users to access to a variety of databases.
- It is an essential component of the increasingly common software stack LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP / Perl / Python) as it is proving to be a cost effective alternative to the other available software stacks.
- Applications including Joomla, WordPress and Drupal all use MySQL, as do many of today’s most successful organizations such as Nokia, Google, Facebook, You Tube, and more.
- Its SQL interpreter, Management components, GUI database viewers, stored procedures, cross-platform support, multiple CPU usage, client server system, session monitoring tools all help you to work and receive data in an efficient, stable and organized manner.
- MySQL can handle a multitude of data in a fast and reliable manner all while allowing users to access a number of databases efficiently.
- Tried and trusted, this open source software has become an important and welcomed addition to many of today’s business successes.
- MySQL can be run on Windows, UNIX and Mac OS.
- It is developed by Oracle and freely available for personal use via ‘MySQL Community Server’ http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/ and for commercial use there are various paid editions available Standard Edition http://www.mysql.com/products/standard/ , Enterprise Edition http://www.mysql.com/products/enterprise/ or Cluster Carrier Grade Edition http://www.mysql.com/products/cluster/ depending on your business and technical needs.
- MySQL can also be easily managed using visual web tools such as phpMyAdmin just to give beginners that extra bit of help!